Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Another 30 Day Challenge: Day 3

Day 3: Something you have to forgive yourself for.

This is a really hard question that could go in almost limitless directions. I've done plenty wrong in my 27 years that I could forgive myself for. There are plenty of things that, to this day, I haven't forgiven myself for. Some things I probably never will forgive myself for, as I don't deserve the forgiveness. But that isn't what this question asks. I have to pick something I am ready to forgive myself for, something that I have to forgive myself for.

I guess I would have to say I need to forgive myself for not becoming who I thought I would. I was always taught that in order to be successful I had to be the CEO or nothing. Therefore, I spent my entire college careers, both Bachelors and Masters, trying to attain a level of education that would make me the top dog, that would make me a success. I need to forgive myself for not becoming that CEO, for not living up to other's definitions of success. The reason I need to forgive myself is because I was dumb enough to think that someone else could define success for me and 100 others and have the definition be the same. I need to forgive myself for not standing up and saying that their definition wasn't my definition. I need to forgive myself for being too shy or too naive, most likely both, to stand up and say I am okay with not being a high powered executive because that is not my definition of success.

For me success is having a job I enjoy. A job where I help others to be successful as part of the team. I don't have to lead the team to enjoy myself. Success is coming home smiling at the end of the day because I learned something new. Success is having a family I love and get to spend time with.

I have to forgive myself for not standing up and shouting from the rooftops that others can't define was success is for me. Luckily, I am standing up now. I am forgiving myself for not recognizing this very fact sooner. Because of that I am a success, and will continue to be successful one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment