Monday, August 1, 2011

Another 30 Day Challenge: Day 1

Day 1: Something you hate about yourself.

I have thought long and hard about this question. I wondered if I should answer this question like I would in an interview. Pick something like I hate that I'm so nice, or I hate that I am so trusting of others. You know, some "weakness" that is actually a positive trait. I chose to go with honesty instead of politicizing my answer.

First off, I don't use the word hate. In fact, there is only one thing in my life that I;ve ever used that word for, and it isn't about myself. Anyway, I'll answer the question of one thing that I really dislike about myself. I guess it would have to be my argumentative nature.

I've always loved to debate. I love to have an opinion and put that opinion up against others. Some call it arguing, I call it spirited discourse. Herein is where the problem lies. While I love to challenge others opinions and tell them why I think they are wrong and I am right, not a lot of people love that kind of challenge. Now I don't do this at work, as I usually reserve it for the people I love the most as they are the most intelligent and worthy of such discourse. I know it drives my husband completely nuts. I see it as playful and thoughtful banter, but he really takes it personally. I wish that I either (a) knew how to make my argumentative nature more playful or (b) how to stop it a majority of the time. I guess it's what I dislike most about myself because it would probably be the thing my husband dislikes most about me and I never want to upset him.

No comments:

Post a Comment