Thursday, August 18, 2011

Another 30 Day Challenge: Day 18

Day 18: Your views on gay marriage.

Let them marry. What difference could it possibly make to me? No one was allowed to tell me I couldn't get married. I think that any couple, gay or straight, should be afforded the rights and responsibilities granted by the institution of marriage. I think its sad that two people committed to one another, no matter their sex, might not be able to make medical decisions for one another. I think its sad that gay people are not allowed to express their devotion in a legal manner. I think its sad that marriage is seen as a privilege instead of a right. I can promise you that one day we will look back and the ban on gay marriage and be ashamed of ourselves, much as we are now for segregation. It will, one day, seem ludicrous that we ever felt men didn't have the right to marry men and women didn't have the right to marry women.

What this gets down to for a lot of people is one simple question. Is being gay a choice or is it innate in any given person. My answer to this question is that it is innate. Being gay is who people are just as much as their gender or skin color. I don't feel that being gay is a choice. Why would anyone chose to be gay knowing they will be maligned, made fun of and lose specific government given rights? No one chooses to be something that they know will cause such maltreatment and hate. It is who some people are just as much as being heterosexual is who I am.

Some will argue that allowing gay people to marry ruins the sanctity of marriage. I would have to tell them that divorce also ruins the sanctity of marriage, but we allow that. All in all, let people who love one another legally be together. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment