Sunday, March 20, 2011

30 Day Challenge: Day 20

Challenge: Concerts you have attended



The first real concert I ever attended was a Jewel concert at the Coca Cola Starplex in Dallas. I went with a friend in high school my junior year. We were in the 8th row, which was pretty neat. The opening act was a guy named Steve Poltz. I really thought I liked him and ended up buying his CD, which I still have to this day and really don't enjoy so much. I still love Jewel and think she is both a great musician and a great poet. Her book A Night Without Armor is my favorite modern poetry book. In fact, I recently picked it up again to read after I bought it almost 11 years ago. I love it!




The second concert I went to, just a week or two after the Jewel concert in 1999, was Barenaked Ladies. I immediately fell in love. They are not only an awesome band in general, but they put on a killer live show. They are incredibly funny and seemingly great guys. I guess now that Steve has been busted on drug charges and is no longer in the band may mean that they weren't all great guys. But I do have to admit that I am not a big fan of the new Barenaked Ladies 4, as without Steven, the band isn't that great.



The third concert I ever went to was for a local radio station and it was called the K104 Beat Jam.  The headliners of this event were Jagged Edge and Jaheim. Needless to say, I was the only white person at this concert, but at the time I loved this type of music. I guess I still kinda do, although I don't listen to it much as Ryan hates it. It was a really good concert actually.  We were in about the 15th row and we ended up standing on our chairs for the entire concert because everyone else was, so otherwise we would't have been able to see. I remember being out way past my curfew that night, but I don't remember getting in too much trouble.


The fourth concert that I went to was Ben Folds where he performed live with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.  The show was AMAZING!  It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to, basically because he seems to be a really down to earth guy.  This makes it extremely easy to like him and his music.  He has a unique sound that can be neither matched nor beat.  Love him!

In the midst of attending these four concerts, I have been to see the Barenaked Ladies every time they were in the Dallas area.  I think that was three more times in the past 9 years. They have been here a couple of times recently, but like I said, without Steve, they aren't the same band.  I would probably go see them again though, I just think it would be a way different experience. 

Also, I have been to the Dallas Symphony many, many times, but the above were the real concerts I have been to in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment