Thursday, June 28, 2012

Recipe: Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins

So I found a recipe online for some Healthy Muffins that I just had to try. The ingredients list wasn't too long so I went to pick up the few things I needed after I got off work today. The thing that drew me to this recipe is that it is both flour and sugar free. I have been trying to focus on low to no sugar options lately as everyone knows I am sugar addicted. I haven't given up added sugar completely, but I have really embraced sugar free options such as sugar free shortbread and no sugar added Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. The muffins I made tonight were pretty good, although I would add to the recipe up a bit.

The recipe is as follows:
2 1/2 cups 100% whole grain oats (not quick cooking)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 single serving size plain, nonfat greek yogurt
2 eggs
2 bananas
2 tablespoons artificial sweetner (I prefer Truvia)

In your food processor, blend the oats until they are a fine powder consistency. Then add all other ingredients to the food processor and blend. Make sure and grease your muffin tin cups really well as paper muffin liners don't work with these flourless muffins. Fill muffin tin cups about 3/4 full with the mixture, as they do rise. Bake for 15 - 17 minutes on 400 degrees.


It's that easy! Next time I would add a little bit of salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract. The muffins are pretty good, but lack a little flavor. I think the addition of these three ingredients would add the flavor these muffins need. The only other drawback was that these turned out a little gummy. I am not sure that is avoidable without the addition of flour. For muffins that have whole grain oats and fruit, with no flour or sugar, these are pretty much the best thing around.

No comments:

Post a Comment