Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Hopefully Not So Big C



So, yesterday Ryan and I went to my parent's house to celebrate Father's Day. Unfortunately, we were greeted at the door with news that no one ever wants to hear. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. Now, thankfully she didn't do the whole sitting us down to tell us something serious thing, which was good. She simply, and succinctly said, "I just want you two to know that I have breast cancer, but it is no big deal."

According to her doctors, it is just in one small location, no bigger than a fingertip sized mass. They think it will be easily removed and should be a one and done situation with no reoccurrence. She will have to have radiation therapy, but hopefully no chemotherapy. We are still waiting to hear the full results from the biopsy, but all signs point to her hopefully being okay.

If she isn't worried, and the doctor's aren't worried, I guess I shouldn't worry either. Hmmm...

I did joke around with her about it, because that is what we do in our family. I told her it sure was pretty low to come out with this news on Father's Day and make it all about her. I told her that mothers have their own day and she should wait until then if she wants to announce something like this. The whole family is in good spirits about it, and we'll just be praying for her for the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment