Friday, September 23, 2011

Just Keep Running, Just Keep Running

So I decided to commit to running...again. I've had a love/hate relationship with running for quite some time now. I hated running when I was in high school. I remember that, every trimester, I had to run a mile under 10 minutes to earn a spot on the sports team of the season. I remember hating that day, running my guts out until I threw up, and worse. I was a horrible runner and a bit chunky in high school. I hated running in circles on the track for no reason. Now, put me on a basketball court, and I could run the entire game. (a) It didn't seem like running and (b) there was a point to it all.

When I went to college, it was "cool" to work out, but I never really did. I kick myself now because I didn't take advantage of the awesome "free" gym. I ran here and there. Mostly I played intramural basketball and tennis. Again, running seemed like a horrible past time to me. I have just never been successful at it.

That brings us to now. I am getting older and pounds fall upon me easier than they once did. I have steadily been eating healthier over the past 6 years, but it just wasn't cutting it anymore. so, I made a new promise to myself. No, the promise wasn't to run, per-say. The promise was to set no real specific goals, deadlines and the like. Just to get out and run more often. Not to necessarily be faster, run further, or run more often than the week before. Just to get out there, even if it is just walking for 30 minutes. I find myself jogging about 1.25 miles per day now between 6-7 times per week. My mile time has been decreasing as my stamina goes up. One day I would like to run a 5k in around 30 minutes, but whenever that happens, let it and if it doesn't, that's okay too. I just need to move.

I finally rewarded myself with a new pair of running shoes. Seeing as how I have chondromalacia (Chondromalacia patella is abnormal softening of the cartilage of the under the kneecap. Chondromalacia patella results from degeneration of cartilage due to poor alignment of the kneecap as it slides over the lower end of the thigh bone.) new shoes were probably a must if I was going to continue to run. I did the whole buy shoes at Run On thing, so I didn't so much get to pick the shoes. The staff there picked out 5 pairs that best fit my pronation and preferences when running and I got to choose from those. I ended up with these:



Now I wouldn't have gone straight up to these Emerald City shoes and talked about how awesome they look, but I also decided it wasn't about look it is about comfort and what is best for continued running stress. So, here's to me and my emerald shoes, may they take me where I need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment